Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Hunger Games

This was one of the most hyped movies of 2012. Not a suprise with such a huge following from Suzanne Collins best selling books. As you read this it is important to know that when I saw the movie I had not read the books (I am currently reading them now). So if you have read them and have a different opinion I won't be offended. With that said here it goes.

I thought Hunger Games was a fantastic movie. I'll quickly go through some of the movie blah blah stuff and end with a deeper look at the story which I think is what makes this so good.

First, the characters were likable because of the audience's ability to relate to them. Katniss is a great example. Katniss Everdeen is supposed to be boring on the big screen. That is one of the major problems with her. This obviously could not bode well for a blockbuster movie. But Jennifer Lawrence did a great job to have this be a very likable part of her character and what ordinary folks like myself can relate too.

Second, the plot was excellent. It is hard to come up with something new and different in films these days and I thought this was pretty close to that. Love, betrayal, sadness, suspense, and joy were wonderfully weaved together to draw the audience into something unique. The only part that was confusing was Peeta and Katniss's prior relationship, but this wasn't a movie breaker.

Last, I thought the cinematography was pretty cool. The scenery was beautiful and the Capitol was very well done.

Okay so I'm getting bored writing about this stuff so I'll move on to what I thought was the best part of this movie.

I think that it made accessible to very important issues in our world: violence and poverty. This movie was entertaining, well acted, and just cool, but behind that was a pretty profound message.

First, it made accessible to a generation the real issues of poverty and affluence. The difference between the "have" and the "have nots" could not be ignored. This was a society built on systematic oppression. The Capitol not only had more than the districts. It had more because the districts had less. Try bringing this up in a conversation with the average American and you will get shut down pretty quickly. However, this movie was able to say something true about the world in a way that was not threatening and I think quite moving. We need to be able to have civil, honest conversations about poverty and affluence and our response to it. I am part of the Capitol by the way. What area to you identify with? Be honest...

Second, it de-glorified violence. We live in a violent society. I don' t think this is a mystery to most. It effects much of our lives but none more than film. Many movies treat violence as normal, not to be cared about part of life or worse yet make it something that is championed and glorified. The Hunger Games was violent. The whole plot revolved around kids trying to kill each other for entertainment (probably closer to our society than we'd like to think). But this movie (and now that I'm reading the book most definitely) exposes our understanding of violence. Too many movies I have seen I talk about how cool the fight scenes were or how inspired I felt to fight. This movie was different. When I walked out of the theatre I wanted to be happy, but couldn't. The movie ended just like I wanted it too, the "good guys" won. But something didn't feel right. Twenty-two children were killed and that sucked. Some were even villainized, but I still couldn't be happy. It was stylistic and "cool" but at its core this violence was ugly.

Maybe this is how I should feel after any scene of violence I witness. It got me thinking...

Well, if you got to the end thanks for listening or at least skimming.

To sum up: great movie, thought provoking and yes entertaining.

Rating: 4.5 Scarfs

No comments:

Post a Comment