Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Confession: I saw the Titanic... and liked it.

So when Titanic was released in 1997 is was kind of a big deal. Virtually every women (young and old) fell in love with Leonardo DiCaprio. It won about a million awards and grossed an insane amount of money. Of course, like a good Jr. High boy I vowed I would never see such a sappy, stupid, popular movie with a jerk like Leonardo in it ( and yes, my childhood crush was in love with Leo)

Well, several things have happened since then.

1) University of Arizona basketball one a National Championship. Beardown! (completely unrelated but I can't see 1997 without thinking of it)

2) Leonardo starred in movies like Blood Diamond and Inception.

3) I grew up. My movie tastes have expanded and I have come to terms with the fact that I actually kind of like sappy love stories (even though society tries to take away my manhood for it, I checked this morning in the shower, still a dude)

4) I married Diane Christine Richardson Spaite who cried when she saw it the first time and couldn't believe I hadn't seen it. (She also claims to not be attracted to Leonardo, but after he starred in the above movies I have to admit I have a man-crush)

Well because of these I saw the Titanic. And of course, it was extremely well done. I enjoyed the history, the critique of classism and gender roles, the sappy love story, and the amazing cinematography. I will defend Rose and say while maybe she should have tried to let Jack on the floating door they most certainly would have sunk it. Against all my childhood prejudices this movie is a classic. (Although it is depressing knowing from the beginning that 1500 people will die).

If you haven't seen it, you should, men included.

Rating: 4.5 scarves

No comments:

Post a Comment