Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hunger Games from a confessional "Band-Wagon" Rider

The Hunger Games

Review by: Diane Richardson Spaite, Guest Blogger

As someone who typically drags my feet with great resistance to any fad or box-office-mind-blowing movie, silently rebelling without a cause against unnamed enemies, I admit, with a bit of embarrassment that I jumped on the Hunger Games bandwagon quite willingly. For the time being, I blame TweetTaftstic, the cleverly named Twitter patron I follow for wit & banter otherwise known as, my brother, for my persuasion to join in.

Begrudgingly, I obliged to go with my intelligent & incredibly good looking husband Dave to the flick. After a busy week, I strongly doubted this movie would bring the sort of peace and satisfaction I was craving. I’ll just say it out loud: I was a doubter. Arms crossed & bracing myself for needless violence, gruesome fight scenes & a scantily clad dame or two, I tried to relax and enjoy the newly renovated movie theater complete with “cushy” chairs.

As the plot unfolded I began to unclench my fists and my arms started to relax. This wasn’t so bad nor was it anywhere close to what I was dreading. After all, I had survived Transformers, Cowboys & Aliens and even a Twlight movie at the hand of my doting sister. What could be worse? The cinematography captured my attention briefly but more intriguing was my interest in the story. This movie was more than the “let’s show you how bad our society is” sort of plot. Symbolism, courage & even glimpse of hope whisped in & out of the film. And then it happened, I left the theater and the first words out of my mouth were, “I would really like to read the book…”

Now for those of you scholarly folks who swear by the book over the movie no matter what, I respect you. I’ve often times been among you, drank coffee at your shops & sometimes even made an appearance at your parties. But amidst my respect, lies dueling respect for the movie maker’s camp. Sometimes a good movie can knock you off your feet & be so faithful to the book that the viewer makes a bee line for Barnes & Noble after viewing the adventure. Hunger Games, was one such movie.

Now-a week and a half later, I’ve read the first book; become enthralled with Katniss, Rue & and even Peeta & am on the edge of my seat wondering how Katniss will be able to re-enter District 12 with courage, with the sinking knowledge, that she will never been the same. My guess is Susan Collins is proud, too & the knowledge that her work, her important reflection & critique of how violence in our society impacts the weak & is somehow intermixed into our everyday lives has reached multiple modes of communication be it written work or cinema has to be satisfying. For now, stay tuned for further reflection from a former Hunger Games doubter & admitted band-wagon rider & feel free to hitch a ride on the wagon….you won’t be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. What did you think of the book? I have never watched a movie and then read the book. I've only read the book and then seen the movie.

    So, I thought the book was ok, but the movie follows so close to the book there wasn't much climax or surprise. I find myself trying to get through it, see if there were any important details the movie left out, and getting to the 2nd and 3rd book. Still, it was a good story, and I think the movie did a great job.

    To Dave and Will's posts I'm wondering to what extent children and teens are understanding the critique of violence at play in the story. I think this a good book for high schoolers to read in school and discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Alec. This would be a great way to get young people talking about these types of issues. Churches and schools need to use media like this to foster conversation about violence and oppression. Thanks for reading the blog.

      Dave

      P.S. I'm finishing up the 3rd book. The first was my favorite. I have really liked the series, but I am a sucker for a story with a social critique thrown in.

      Delete